Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tick-Bite Fever

I know there's nothing worse than hearing about other people's ailments, but I thought I should take a break from describing all the orphans and other suffering Swazis to elicit some sympathy for myself for weathering my first tropical disease. Sometime within the last ten days or so, I managed to contract typhus, or as it is more prosaically known, "tick-bite fever."

Two Fridays ago, I noticed a small red dot on my left forearm which looked like nothing more than a mosquito bite. Over the next few days it grew and turned red and nasty looking, sending pink branches up my arm along my blood vessels. I didn't feel sick at first, but last Monday evening, as Scott was consulting his medical manuals about the bite on my arm and reading me all the various symptoms and consequences of each possible disease, I suddenly caught a severe chill -- such that I literally ran to my bed and dived under the blankets (it was about 90 degrees out that day). Scott and I both thought it might just be a psychosomatic reaction to hearing too much information from the medical books, but as the night progressed I felt worse, and I didn't sleep much due to severe body aches. The next day, our landlord, Dr. Pons, stopped by and confirmed that I had a case of tick-bite fever, which is something like Lyme Disease, but luckily without the chronic after-effects. My main symptoms, besides the swollen red bite on my arm, were fatigue, body aches, and persistent on-off headache for most of last week. Luckily I happen to live with a very good nurse, so I received world-class medical treatment all week. Unfortunately, Scott himself came down with a pretty bad head cold on Thursday, so he spent the day home from work on Friday. All in all, we spent a rather low-key weekend at Mabuda Farm. Our weekend was brightened considerably by the arrival on Friday of five packages from home. Many, many thanks to Jocelyn, Aunt Peggy & Rick, Will & Stuart, Anne Abbott, and Steven & Gina for their thoughtful and much welcomed gifts. They arrived at the perfect time!

I am feeling much better now (as is Scott), and it seems to have been a relatively mild case of tick-bite fever -- and supposedly I will now be immune to future cases -- for which I am very thankful.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Am so glad your encounter with some exotic tropical disease was a relatively mild one!! I feel like I can greet you this way, "Mr.David Haproff, I presume." Have been enjoying your blog immensely. With both you and Scott's blog, I feel like I'm getting a more complete feel of your environment. Can't wait to see you!!

Stephen B. said...

Ticks ugggghhhh. I hate the idea and even the name. You two are much braver than I ever will be. I like hot showers and dry towels not torential rains and mud. The thought of us losing our comfortable american life style is spooky but its looking more like Swaziland every day. we will be surrounded by roaches and rats who will take over out daily existence. Say it aint so Joe. I am very relieved that you had a "cracker jack" nurse all the way from NYC takin care of you. Tell that cracker to avoid those ticks cause just cause you aint gonna be alergic no more dont mean he aint immune. I ave stopped reading the NY Times and now am reading the real reality survival blog which is more connected to whats happening than all this Dooms Day Scenario in the USA.
We Love what you are doing and hope the films kept you entertained. Love SB and GS

BobG212 said...

Hello my dear David, and my dear Scott. Got a chance to read your blogs that I missed from Feb. 1, and 8. The description of your morning on the 1st, was absolutely incredible. And I understand how you say it is both devastating and somehow invigorating to have so much happen, so quickly, as if all is normal. It makes me really wonder about the ritual that I, and most of us, have here in New York City. The work, the subways, the streets, getting home exhausted, going out to dinner, watching TV, going to bed.
As intense as the life you and Scott descibe is, I envy you for the rich and fullfilling days that you are experiencing. My heart goes out to you both, and to the people you write about. I would like to also contribute something when I'm able to. Can you remind me how to do that? What to make the check or money order out to and where to send it? I would like to do what I can to help.
I'm so glad that you are feeling better, and glad that you you said that what you had was not only called "Tyhus", but also a "Tick Bite", because the first one sounded so scarey and awful.. even though that is what it was.
I love reading yours and Scott's blogs, and tell Patrick about them every time I read them. We miss you and wish you our best.
Happy Valentine's Day.
Love,
Bob

Unknown said...

There are truly a lot of ailments that can be acquire by humans. We need to make a step whenever we feel some symptoms but it is really better to consult a doctor and have a test using elisa kits.

These may help in determining many diseases in one's body.